Lindale Village

John Wilkinson – Lindale

John Wilkinson – Lindale

Lindale lies in what was known after the Norman Conquest as ‘Lancashire over the Sands’. This remote and isolated part of Lancashire (now Cumbria) is an area bounded on the east by the Winster valley, on the south Morecambe Bay and on the west the Duddon valley.

Generally, this whole area is know as the Cartmel Peninsulas.

Lindale is close to the River Winster on the old Lancashire and Westmorland border.

St Paul’s church along with the local pub, The Royal Oak, are situated at the top of the hill overlooking Lindale.

The church was designed by the Kendal architect, George Webster (1797-1864).

It is believed Lindale has had a place of worship in the village since 1577.

George Fox, the Quaker preacher (responsible for what became the Society of Friends) visited Lindale chapel, which is described in his jounal, during his famous walk he undertook in May and June in 1652 from Pendle Hill in Lancashire.

On Sunday afternoon of June 20th 1652 after preaching in the village of Staveley, Fox walked to Lindale and entered the chapel where a service was in progress and states ‘when the priest had done, I spoke to him and the people’.

Fox writes in his journl, about the people of Lindale that: ‘There were great opposers but they after became convinced’.

Unfortunately, due to dwindling congregation numbers and increased maintenance costs the church has had to close.

It held its final service on 25th January 2019.  Rev. George Wilson took the last service.

John Wilkinson, the ironmaster, is buried in St Paul’s church, in an unmarked grave; it was his fifth burial!

John Wilkinson - Lindale

Firstly, his coffin became lost on the sands of Morecambe Bay but subsequently recovered.

Secondly, an attempt to temporarily lay him to rest in the grounds of Castlehead, his former home, as a larger iron coffin was made – the original one was too small.

Thirdly, the gravediggers hit rock, so the grave was too shallow and he was later buried deeper.

Castlehead subsequently changed hands, and the new owners objected to the grave and the memorial above it.

Consequently, the memorial (below) now stands on the Lindale junction to Grange-over-Sands and John Wilkinson’s final resting place was in the village churchyard.

John Wilkinson - Lindale

Finally, and unusually, for a village of this size, there are three large car showrooms.

  • Hadwins Volkswagen
  • Lake District Audi
  • Lloyd South Lakes MINI

If you are looking for a holiday cottage near Lindale, enquire here.

 

 

 

We invite you to stay at Lothlorien

Check our availability

Relax and unwind. Check out our availability and book online today.

Share This

Availability
June 3rd
(4 nights)

Telephone: 07785944194