The Hoad Monument – Ulverston
The Hoad monument is a memorial to Sir John Barrow who was born in Ulverston in 1795.
Built in 1850 from local limestone it was funded by local subscription.
The Hoad is a 100ft scale replica of the Eddystone lighthouse.
Above all, it was erected to commemorate Sir John Barrow who was a seafaring explorer and founder member of the Royal Geographic Society.
Finally, this 1905 photograph shows the monument keeper – John Tyson in the uniform at the foot of the monument.