Allithwaite

The Hidden Charms of Allithwaite

The Hidden Charms of Allithwaite:

Allithwaite is a small village situated 2 miles north-west from Grange-over-Sands in the Lake District.

Its altitude is higher than other villages around the Morecambe Bay coast.

It is possible to easily see the Lake District mountains and Blackpool Tower from here.

It is just over a mile to the medieval village of Cartmel.

The original name of Allithwaite was Hailinstone from the old Norse – Halle’s clearing.

It consisted of a core of old buildings constructed of limestone taken from a local quarry. Incidentally, the quarry was worked until 1939.

Back in the 17th century, the village had its own corn mill and later a brewery.

Quarrying was the main industry at the time.

In 1914, the village had a football team with its base in the Old Brewery.

Allithwaite Institute had a reading room, a billiard room which had been added in 1905 and had 13 committee members.

At one time, Allithwaite had a post office, Co-op, 2 pubs, a butcher and a grocer. Sadly, most have long gone.

The Hidden Charms of Allithwaite

The village, still has one pub (The Pheasant Inn), a community centre and sports fields, including a bowling green and tennis courts.

On the outskirts of the village is Humphrey Head. It is a large limestone outcrop within easy walking distance of the village.

It is believed the last wolf in England was killed here around 700 years ago.

For centuries people believed that water from a holy well at Humphrey Head contained a miracle cure. Its underlying springs contain a natural painkiller and antiseptic from the remains of white willow trees that once grew here.

Other notable buildings in Allithwaite are:

  1. St Mary’s Church
  2. Allithwaite Primary School
  3. Wraysholme Tower Farm
  4. The Old Vicarage Residential Home
  5. Boarbank Hall

Wraysholme Tower  Farm was built by the Harringtons in the late 15th-century. The farmhouse dating back to 1848 stands on the site of a hall-block on the west side.

The Hidden Charms of Allithwaite

The farm and buildings huddle below the 15th-century, pele. The tower was a legacy of the Border Wars when the Border Reivers crossed the Debatable Lands from Scotland intent on rustling stock.

The 122-acre  Wraysholme Tower Farm and Creamery is run by the Morris family. 

Paul Morris is the fifth generation of farmers here. He looks after more than 80 Holstein pedigree cows with Dad Steve.

Because of their breeding the cows have high protein and  high butterfat content  that makes all kinds of dairy products ideal.

The Hidden Charms of Allithwaite

Every product on the premises—including ice cream, cream, milk, butter, yoghurt, and cheese is handcrafted.

Boarbank Hall, then known as Boar Bank Cottage, was once owned by a wealthy lady, Miss Mary Lambert, who had links to Abbot Hall in Kents Bank.

In 1954, the hall became a Roman Catholic guest house and also a nursing home. At one time, sixteen Augustinian sisters lived on site.

The Pheasant Inn is now the only pub in Allithwaite. It has been run by the Jones family since 2005.

As a traditional village pub, real ale is one of the main features of the bar with different hand-pulled cask beers available.

Food is served in the contemporary dining room and is focused on good, honest dishes that appeal to all, making it appealing to families.

The Allithwaite area, including Kents Bank, makes a great base to book a holiday cottage.

Furthermore, with easy lovely walks from Allithwaite and with easy access to the Lake District, Allithwaite is worth exploring for your next holiday.

If you are looking for accommodation in the Allithwaite area, Lothlorien in Kents Bank is an ideal place to stay. Click here for enquiries.

 

We invite you to stay at Lothlorien

Check our availability

Relax and unwind. Check out our availability and book online today.

Share This

Availability
June 3rd
(4 nights)

Telephone: 07785944194