‘The Crack’ – Kendal:
This very narrow entrance to Kirkbarrow is known locally as ‘The Crack’ or ‘T’Crack’.
This ancient pathway runs from Kirkland (opposite Kendal’s parish church) to Kirkbarrow Lane. The path leads to Anchorite Well, Kendal’s earliest religious site and on to the old burial ground at Kirkbarrow.
Kirkbarrow House (now demolished) stood in this lane. It was the home at one time of Cornelius Nicholson (1804-1889) historian and writer of “Annals of Kendal”, and Mayor of Kendal in 1848.