Penrith Beacon is now a very popular beauty spot and is an pleasant walk from the town centre.
Sitting to the north of Penrith the tree-covered Beacon Hill was once an important link in the country’s communication chain.
Penrith Beacon stands on top of the hill and had forewarned of attacks by Scottish raiders down the centuries.
There has been a Beacon on this site since 1296 and a building here for more than 500 years.
The present monument was built in 1719 of sandstone taken from the hill.
This structure replaced an earlier structure and was restored in 1780.
The first beacons here were piles of wood and branches replaced by pitch-boxes.
More recently there has been an illuminated cross at Easter but was stopped due to vandalism and fire risk.
The path to Beacon Hill pike begins on Beacon Edge on the outskirts of the town.
The pike is 937 ft (286 m) high. From the summit, you get views over to the Lakeland fells and Eden valley.