Bridge House Ambleside:
Bridge House was built over Stock Ghyll in Ambleside more than 300 years ago, probably as a summer house and apple store for Ambleside Hall.
It is the town’s curiosity piece; seen next to the A591 at the northern end of the town.
It has certainly been used as a permanent residence in the nineteenth century.
A Mr Rigg occupied it, in defiance of its proportions, and brought up six children there!
It was purchased by local people in 1926 and given to the National Trust. It is now used as an information centre for the National Trust.
Bridge House has long been a great attraction for artists (including J.M.W. Turner).